Thursday, March 15, 2012

Back and well, it wasn't that long! Working on a book

Hi all, I'm back. I guess my hiatus was more of a hia...

I have a new project. My sister spent a great deal of time making a family tree for all of us in honor of our parent's Golden Wedding Anniversary. It turned out great.

Now, I am not quite of the older generation, but I am getting close to that stage, so I thought to myself that I really don't know stories beyond my own grandparents live's as they related to me. This family tree goes pretty deep and well, it would be a shame to miss out on stories that someone still remembers.

So I am on a quest for my family's stories. I have started writing to aunts and uncles and have asked them to write/type/record stories that they remember about their grandparents. I hope to weave these stories together with a little book my grandmother Helen Shannon wrote about 25 years ago called "A Western Love Affair" about her and Grandpa Cecil's lives in New Mexico and Colorado. Perhaps I can give a bit of honor to their memories and gather up a bit of our history.

I have no illusions of grandeur about this project, but I do have visions of capturing a bit more of my family's journey across America.

Wish me luck.



5 comments:

  1. What a great idea!! I often wish I had the stories from my Nana and Poppy. They are both gone now and so are the stories. I also wish my Nana had written down her recipes, they were all in her head.
    What an awesome thing to do! Have fun with it.

    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Troy, so glad to see you back. I wrote a book about discovering your history/researching your ancestry and I would be happy to send you a copy (it is written at a kid's level, of course) if you think that would be a good tie in to share with your family. Good luck on the project. Sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tami, that would be wonderful and since I read at a kid's level, it might be just about right!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous idea! Keep at it. My grandparents were in vaudeville, in the waning days, and I have kicked myself more than once for not getting their stories--who knew they would some day have great-grandchildren in show business!

    ReplyDelete