Friday, December 17, 2010

Book Review - Blood Trail


My school is putting an intensive focus on fiction reading next year - 2011. I thought I would start putting up some reviews of books I have read. Generally I will try to review books available in our public library, but with that said, I also might review e-books I purchase or download for free. I have books on my desk, in my backpack, by the bed, on my netbook and on my ipod. Most of the ebooks I read are public domain that I download for free from Manybooks.net There are almost 30,000 free ebooks in a variety of formats there.

Regarding Blood Trail. This book is set in Wyoming during the current day. An elk hunter's body is found hanging, eviscerated, and decapitated. Joe Pickett, a game warden, is tasked by the Governor to lead the investigation. The book switches between the story and the POV of the killer. Interesting.

This mystery has a host of characters, from the heroic game warden, to the weasel-like bureaucrat, Hollywood anti-hunting activists and wrongly imprisoned trackers. Each character receives adequate development so you can understand what makes them react the way they do - even if this is the 8th book in the Joe Pickett series.

The tale has a predictably unpredictable twist in the resolution. You knew it was coming, but couldn't tell how it would resolve until right at the end. The suspense kept me reading until 11 last night. The twist came about fully developed and was plausible, like an Agatha Christie story, not unexpected and thrown in as a lazy writer might do like Higgly Piggly Clark does.

Rating - totally subjective - 4 out of 5 dead hunters.

For other reviews, check out Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment